Georgia production incentives provide up to 30% of your Georgia production expenditures in transferable tax credits.
The program is available for qualifying projects, including feature films, television series, commercials, music videos, animation and game development. With one of the industry’s most competitive production incentive programs, the Georgia Film, Music & Digital Entertainment Office can help you dramatically cut production costs without sacrificing quality.
STATE TAX CREDIT BENEFITS
Highlights from the Georgia Entertainment Industry Investment Act include the following:
- 20 percent base transferable tax credit
- 10 percent Georgia Entertainment Promotion (GEP) uplift can be earned by including an embedded Georgia logo on approved projects and a link to http://www.tourgeorgiafilm.com on the promotional website
- $500,000 minimum spend to qualify
- No limits or caps on Georgia spend, no sunset clause
- Both resident and non-resident workers’ payrolls and FICA, SUI, FUI qualify
- No salary cap on individuals paid by 1099, personal service contract or loan out. Payments made to a loan out company will require six percent Georgia income tax withheld
- Production expenditures must be made in Georgia to qualify from a Georgia vendor
- Travel and insurance qualify if purchased through a Georgia agency or company
- Original music scoring eligible for projects produced in Georgia qualify
- Post production of Georgia filmed movies and television projects qualify
- Development costs, promotion, marketing, license fees and story right fees do not qualify
The Georgia Department of Revenue will offer producers a review and verification of transactions that are eligible for the Georgia Film Tax Credit. This is a voluntary program and the costs of any audit do not count towards the tax credit. The verification reviews will be done on a first come/first serve basis for a fee of $55/hour per auditor. Click here to learn additional information and to obtain the GDOR’s application form.
Direct contact for an audit inquiry:
Anita M. DeGumbia
Assistant Director – Audit
Georgia Department of Revenue
1800 Century Blvd NE Suite 18104/Atlanta, Georgia 30345
APPLICATION FORMS/RULES & REQUIREMENTS
Here are the forms and information you’ll need to apply for Georgia’s entertainment industry tax credits:
|Overview:||Entertainment Industry Tax Credits (Savings up to 30%)|
|Application:||Tax Credit Certification Application (Updated 4/2/14) (for base 20% credit)|
|Application:||2013 10% GEP Logo Tax Credit Application|
|Form:||Film Tax Credit Form (IT-FC)|
|Form:||Notice of Tax Credit Transfer (IT-TRANS)|
|Form:||Georgia Expenditures Form (PDF)|
|Info:||Georgia Department of Revenue Rules and Regulations (PDF)|
|Info:||Georgia Department of Economic Development Rules and Regulations (PDF)|
|Info:||Georgia Entertainment Industry Investment Act Quick Facts (PDF)|
To learn more about Georgia’s production incentives and how they can save you money, contact us.