Game production in Georgia is aided by robust incentive programs. The Georgia Industry Investment Act was established in 2008 to support Georgia companies developing games and digital media for the global marketplace. Not only do the incentives support the growth of Georgia game developers, but they help grow our skilled and creative talent within Georgia’s digital media industry, building up a skilled workforce unique to the gaming community.
Georgia’s game and digital media industry is growing rapidly. The growth is due to a comprehensive suite of business assets that Georgia is able to offer game companies, including a pipeline of creative and technical talent; competitive incentives that positively impact a company’s bottom line; and an affordable lifestyle.
The core of Georgia’s digital entertainment and digital media industry is the development of digital content that blends art and technology for both entertainment and software applications. This cutting edge development is driven by talented individuals with expertise in software and artistic development including visual media, graphic design, animation, music and storytelling, as well as a wide range of technical computer programming and engineering talents.
The Georgia Department of Economic Development supports the thriving and powerful computer gaming, animation and digital media industries in Georgia with an impressive technology infrastructure, a highly-skilled workforce, and more than 15 Georgia colleges and universities offering full curriculum or computer game courses. Benefits for the game industry include:
- 30 percent tax credit
- Solid technology infrastructure
- Creative, steadily growing workforce
- Entrepreneurial business environment
- Established game and digital media industry
With a high quality of life, low cost of doing business, and a robust economy, Georgia is one of the most popular places to relocate in America. Known as the “Silicon Valley of the South,” our strong transportation and telecommunications infrastructure has made the region a prime location for reaching the global marketplace.
Backed by a pro-business climate, metro Atlanta has become a national center for entrepreneurship, forming an ideal environment for the growth of the high-tech game industry. From innovation to application, Georgia is establishing itself as a creative cluster and a hotbed for content creation, giving game and digital media companies in Georgia a competitive advantage over less established locations.
- The state's commitment to supporting companies working in new areas such as Augmented Reality has enabled us transition our experience into the marketplace, through students and startups, and will help Georgia become recognized as a leader in this area.”
Blair MacIntyre, Georgia Institute of Technology Augmented Environments Lab
- The Interactive Design and Game Development department at the Savannah College of Art and Design is dedicated to preparing talented, highly focused and well-trained students, at both graduate and undergraduate levels, to be the leaders of tomorrow’s gaming and interactive design fields. We are thrilled and honored to be working with the State of Georgia to help bring opportunity to the next crop of critical thinkers and industry innovators.”
Luis Cataldi, Savannah College of Art & Design
- Internap provides high-performance IT infrastructure services to numerous Georgia-based companies that share a common theme – the Internet is critical to the success of their business. Whether an online retailer, a major airline, a gaming studio, or a live streaming broadcaster, Internap’s customers are pushing the limits of the Internet and represent the future of Georgia’s digital economy.”
Eric Cooney, Internap
- The state's entertainment incentives have supported our efforts to build an exceptional, Georgia-grown game development studio. We have relocated over a dozen experienced game industry professionals to Georgia and put them in mentoring positions with talented new graduates.”
Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios
- With compelling tax incentives and a wealth of local resources, game developers and publishers will realize that Georgia is a great place to do business.”
Paul Condolora, Turner Broadcasting System Inc.